Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Kitchen Garden - My New Sanity Project

We moved house a few weeks ago, into a tiny little 3bd cottage, (rental) it is a hot box (fibro, no insulation, fans or aircon) but we are thankful we have our own place to call home and have been busy making it more comfortable. The first essential job was putting in portable air cons into the bedrooms as its soooo hot along with changing the curtains to block out ones or blinds to try and keep the rooms cooler and block out a lot of the heat. Feeling comfortable in our home is really important to me, so I really want to make the most of what we can so that its more enjoyable for us over the next year.

I feel living in such a small house with two small kids will be my biggest challenge, as they just dont have the space to play and move around like they used to. So my idea is to get outside more (when its cool enough that is) early in the morning and later in the afternoon. We have a large empty lawn area at the moment but are working on finding an area to set up the sandpit and a little shaded play area for the girls.

The one good thing we have in the back yard is an area for a vege garden, I think it must have been one a long time ago as it's a long raised garden bed about 2m x 8m. As soon as I saw it I thought YES that will be the perfect spot to start my next sanity project with the kids - a Kitchen Garden. I've always dreamed of having a kitchen garden as they are just so practical and convenient when cooking but it will also be a great challenge for me.

Our Kitchen Garden Plot - lots of work to do



Now this spot may not be the absolutely perfect but its a hell of a lot better than any other options I've had anywhere else I've lived as it will get full sun all afternoon. The plot was in quite a state and will need a lot of work to be done before I even think about planting but its all good fun and it will keep my 2 1/2 year old out of the house for a couple of hours in the morning every few days.

We have started cleaning it up and have cleared away rubbish, leaves, weeds, grass etc and have prepared about 2m so far (so only another 6 to go). My daughter Pearl had an absolute ball helping and loved keeping busy pulling out weeds and picking up leaves. Anyway you can see from our progress that we still have a lot of work to do but I welcome the fun times ahead and hope that it will help keep my sanity in check by getting out of the tiny house with the kids on mornings we are home.

Great reading and watching material to educate me


I also want to try and do this properly as I have not got the best gardening track record. So I have loaned from the library a vege garden book and DVD to help educate me well (along with watching Martha Stewart) to prevent me from doing anything ridiculous....well I hope so anyway. I will keep you posted on our progress.


Brenda :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brenda, looking forward to seeing this project unfold. We have a garden bed waiting to be put together in the back yard. It's been there about six months! I also have a herb garden on the back deck, but the basil is wilting and I'm not sure why. Will google it.

    Good luck with the sanity side of the project too!
    Felicity Moore

    ReplyDelete